Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thursday's Ramblings


 
  • Oracle's profits fall afterhours.  Uh, they have a nice database and all.  But are these guys a bellweather anymore?

  • It's been so hectic and busy here today at the Fun Factory, that my brain is done.  I can't think of anything to blog about.  I just want to go home, tune into the Apprentice finale.  Maybe find a hoops game on somewhere.  Oh, and microwave popcorn.  That sounds good.  Feeling kind of run down. 

  • I'm not sure why Chinese actresses are in Memoirs of a Geisha, either.  Ziyi Zhang, though.  Hoo.

  • Not only does the Christmas day game of Miami Heat vs. Los Angeles Lakers give us Shaq vs Kobe, but also Pat Riley vs. Phil Jackson. 

  • The San Francisco 49ers vs Houston Texans game on January 1 is being called "The Reggie Bush Bowl."  Those teams are the worst of the worst.  Poor Houston, though.  They've been in a few recently up until the closing minutes, and lose.  I'd almost think they're trying to finish last with the way things are going.

  • I haven't been to the stores or malls shopping for Christmas.  Did everything online.  I think I'll stop at a Starbucks and get my team some gift cards for the holidays.  That'll be the extent of my "shopping."

  • Today's CPI came in below estimates, due to falling energy prices.  Of course, the core rate remained around .2%.  Yeah, I don't think there's much inflation out there.  For more on the CPI, see BlogginWallStreet.  Sure does make those i-bonds and TIPs look like a good deal.
  • Is that an ipod in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?  Introducing the i-boxer!  I guess you better hope that nobody asks you if it's an ipod nano in your pants, huh?  "Got the small one, eh?" (This mania must be nearing the end, too.)

  • So, I'm long and strong heading into the final 2 weeks of the trading year.  I still think the big players have done whatever they're going to do ahead of the final two weeks.  Maybe that's why this month's options expiration week has been a little dull.  Next two weeks should be a dull tape, and volatility could rule.  I'd think we'd have an upwards bias.  We shall see.  Nothing is carved in stone about holiday trading.  Just thinking out loud.

  • Hey, I heard somebody say that we've had 10 consecutive quarters above 3% GDP growth.   The last time we've had such a sustained period of growth was 1986.  That's what they said, anyways.

  • With short-term rates moving up, we have ourselves a savings rate war!

  • Yeah.  Ziyi Zhang. 

  • Tax cuts for Christmas?  Well, I'm not holding my breath on that one, Larry.  It'd be nice to get the AMT resolved.  If we don't extend Bush's tax cuts, then the nation faces a large tax hike down the road.  Now there's the kind of thing that can wreak havoc on a consecutive quarter GDP spurt.

  • For another view on bonds and inflation, check out this from Bill Cara

  • This is a good one.  Demand Side Phenomenon.  A blogger notes the impact to his daily site hit counts when he links in a story about the University of Western Ontario stripper incident.  Yeah, he has links to the video, for those of you interested.  Bwah.

blog comments powered by Disqus